Wednesday, May 15, 2013

On running

I've decided to put the running on hold for now.  

I'm not giving up.  I'm just going to step back a little  and see where I'm at in a couple of months. 

I tried it for four months. I really did try.  I only got to week seven of the nine week couch to fivek program though because I injured myself a couple of times and I repeated several weeks over because I didn't feel I was ready to move on to the next week. 

The truth is I didn't like it.  At all. I found myself dreading the days when I would have to do it. I always felt better afterwards(who doesn't feel good after exercising?  I always do).  

But during it was torture.  Joe and I were talking about it and he asked me why I continued to do it if I disliked it so much. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.  I was hoping it would grow on me. 

But it didn't. No matter how hard I tried it just didn't feel right for me.  

I was so determined to prove to myself that i could run that I forgot how much I used to love to walk.

 I love walking!  I can actually walk at a faster pace than I can run.  Weird, I know.  Today we went walking.  I walked for an hour. My heart rate was still raised.  I was still sweating.  I still felt a little sore afterwards. 

The only thing that was different from the running was that I didn't hate it.    On the contrary, I actually enjoyed it. 

I did a combination of walking/jogging but I did my own intervals. In the hour that we walked I did eight sets of running for a minute to a minute and a half.  Sometimes there was three minutes between a set. Sometimes five  or even seven.  I just listened to my body and did what I could do.  

It was so much easier than trying to keep up with the couch to five k  program. And we have lovely walking trails. They are dirt trails and I find it so much easier to walk on dirt than cement.  They also have hills in them which adds another dimension to the workout too.

I love it.   If I want I can still participate in five k or even ten k's.  I can walk them.  There is no right or wrong way to get into shape.  I need to stop comparing myself to other people and set my own goals. I don't know why that is so hard for me to do.   

I plan to continue with the walking  three to four days a week.   I might supplement with some arm exercises and boxing on  the Wii Fit which I also enjoy.   

Dragon boat practice started up again last weekend so that will be one day of really great exercise too. 

Last weekend we practiced both days and did some training for the full hour each day. Such a great workout!

I loved every minute of it, but Holy sore muscles batman!  Ouch.   I only just started feeling better today, three days later. 

It feels good to push your body though.  I'm looking forward to getting in better shape this summer.  

Maybe I'll return to the running in the fall.  We'll see.  

2 comments:

dawn said...

Really you don't like running?

I thought I was the only person on the planet that can't stand it. Welcome to the club. I love exercise but I just can't stand running AT ALL. Woo hoo I'm not alone.

Janice said...

Good for you! Do what you enjoy for fitness, not something that makes you miserable!