Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Wordful Wednesday

Not Wordless today. Because this post is full of words.


It's my day off. How I love my day off.

I had to go to the lab today to get some blood work done for the visit with my kidney doctor next week.

When I arrived at the lab, there were only 2 people sitting in the waiting room. I signed in and had a seat and waited for them to call my name. I know the drill.

Within 10 minutes that place was packed. Probably 10 or so people came in after me. I was reading my book and not paying much attention to the time when I hear them start calling names off the list. A lot of names. Then they start calling people to the back to have their blood drawn and I notice that the people they are calling were people who had just gotten there a few minutes ago, and after I had.

I go up and wait behind the line like they tell you to do and when it's my turn I approach the counter and the woman behind the desk says to me(without even looking up) "Please sign in and have a seat and wait for your name be called"

I was like "I did sign in. Like twenty minutes ago. I'm waiting for you to call my name."

She's like "Where is your name on that list?"

I point to it. It's about 8 or 9 names above the last name on the list. All of the other names are highlighted. Mine is not.

She does a double take and says "Oh. You got skipped somehow. Do you have your paperwork?'

I handed it to her and she asked me to have a seat again. They called me to the back 5 minutes later.

It was a mistake. I get that. Here's the thing though.

It happens every single time I go to the lab. And not just that lab. ANY lab.

They always skip my name on the list, or it gets highlighted and they think I have already gone to the back.

Seriously. Every time. Am I invisible or something?

It really is annoying.

While I was waiting for them to call my name a woman came in with an elderly gentleman and her two children.

Two beautiful little girls, about 2 and 4 years old. Huge blue eyes, blond hair. SO sweet. The littlest one sat on her Mom's lap and the older one sat next to her grandfather holding his hand.

Here's where I have a confession to make.

I felt a little stab of jealousy. How lucky she is, I thought, to have not one, but two beautiful little girls.

The smallest little girl was staring at me so I smiled at her and went back to my book.

A couple of minutes later the woman's phone rang.

I was annoyed. Did she really have to talk on her phone in the waiting room? Couldn't she go outside? Can't she see I'm trying to read my book here?

Jealousy can make you think nasty thoughts.

I resumed reading my book and tried not to listen to her conversation.

She seemed a little upset. She was talking to her Mom. The conversation went like this:

"Mom? It's me. Where are you?"
"I'm at the lab. I have Dad with me. I need you to come and pick up the girls."

At this point she was crying. I am trying to focus on my book and not let on that I am listening to her conversation.

"I have been bleeding. The Doctor says it doesn't look good. I have another ultrasound in 30 minutes and most likely a D&C after that. Can you come get the girls?"


They called my name just then. She had hung up the phone and was crying harder then. Her Dad was leaning over the little girl next to him and patting her on the back.

I felt like a horrible person for feeling jealous. But mostly I felt so badly for her. So sad.

You shouldn't assume things about people because you never, ever really know their story.

I hope I can remember that.

After I left the lab I went for a 45 minute walk around the lake near our house. I was walking at a good pace and getting a pretty good workout in.

There were runners zipping by me and even lapping me as I huffed and puffed my way around that lake.

Runners make me feel somewhat inadequate. Did you ever notice you never see any fat runners?

I wish I was a runner.

But I am so not a runner.

So. Not. I have never been a runner.

I'll have to settle for fast walker.

While I was walking around the lake I kept having to dodge these guys:

I try to keep a wide berth around them because I grew up at a stables and the geese there were mean. This one seemed okay.

But I still didn't let him get too close.

And lastly, on a totally unrelated note, when we get closer to referral I am totally going to park in one of these spots.

It's only fair. :)


Don't forget to enter my Give Away!! (Click Here)

You have until Saturday to enter!

2 comments:

Briana's Mom said...

I feel so bad for that woman. I've had a miscarriage, and it is so horrible. But I completely understand those thoughts you had though. I had so many of those thoughts myself.

I always said I would park in one of those spots one day and I chickened out. Never did it. I hope you do it!!!

Carrie said...

Oh don't feel so bad!
Totally park there I would!