Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Black and White Wednesday

Don't you hate it when you have a terrifically fantastic weekend and then a crappy week to follow?

I do.

But that's exactly what is happening to me this week.

What I want to be doing is basking in the glory of our fabulous weekend at the dragon boat races and enjoying my day off.

Instead I am lying flat on my back in pain sweating because I threw my back out and our air conditioner is broken.


Blahhhhhhhh.  That pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole thing.

After the races my back was fine. I mean, I was sore, which is normal, but my back was alright.  Then Monday at lunch I was sitting in my chair at lunch and I twisted around to get something out of the microwave and bam-I felt sharp shooting pain in my lower left back (which is always the place I throw it out).

Owwww........... immediately I couldn't stand upright.

Sigh.

Can someone please tell me how I can paddle vigorously in a boat for 11 weeks straight and then participate in 2 days of the most intense  physical exercise I have ever experienced and come out fine but then simply twist in my chair at work and completely throw my back out???


I mean surely my back was already weakened from the paddling right?

Otherwise I feel totally lame.

So I have been flat on my back in bed ever since(well I did go to work yesterday but it took a whole lot of Tylenol to make it through the day and I had to leave early).

Then to top it off I got home yesterday and it was 87 degrees inside our apartment.  Joe said he had called maintenance but they had a lot of "emergencies" and were unable to get to us before 5:00 yesterday.

Whatever.  Obviously they haven't seen the mood it puts me in to be in horrible pain while simultaneously sweating profusely.  Now THAT'S an emergency.  LOL.

Joe tried to appease me with ice packs and shave ices but I was miserable.  Finally I took a muscle relaxant and called it a night at around 9:30 or so.

They better get their butts out here to fix it today.  Just sayin'.

Since I'm home and can't really do anything much more than watch t.v or perch the laptop on my stomach and surf the internet I thought I would participate in Black and White Wednesday this week.


One of our dragon boat team mates took this picture of us in the tent at the races.  I love this picture.  It's a great shot of Joe and me.

What I didn't love about it was that I am wearing very little makeup and my face has this ruddy/red look because of my sunburn.   (How vain, right?)

Black and White pictures tend to hide a multitude of flaws so I turned it B&W.  I can't decide if I like it better in B&W or not.  What do you think?



Here's the original







I think I am going to try taking another muscle relaxant and take a nap with an ice pack.  Oh how I hope this episode passes quickly.  Last summer when this happened I was in pain for several months.  Blech.

Anyone here have back problems?  What are some of the ways you get relief?





For more Black and white Wednesday shots, head over to The Long Road to China {and back}










4 comments:

dawn said...

feel better and cooler!
Chiropractic and massage therapy. Ice and heat. Rest and stretching.

Brenda said...

I have had lower back problems as you describe them since I was 21. That is a LOOONNNGGGG time! And it comes just like you said - turn in your chair the wrong way, bend down to clean the litter box and bam - you are totally flattened. The only thing that fixes it is to be careful and take Aleve and it will run its course. But what a pain the butt - literally!

I love the black and white - you both look radiant and happy.

Kayce said...

I love that picture of the two of you!! LOVE it! I'm sorry about your back...totally sucks! I wish I had some words of wisdom but I don't. Hugs to you my friend. Miss you tons too! I really need to get down your way!

M3 said...

I think both pics look beautiful - seriously! Even after reading ruddy/no makeup, I went back to look at the color pic again and still didn't see anything wrong with it AT ALL.

Hugs (gentle ones) for your poor back.