Friday, February 11, 2011

Leap of Faith


Update:  I sold four items on Etsy and then had another 5 orders for various items privately.  Wow!!  It's a little overwhelming.  But so cool!  I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!  Thank you so much to everyone who showed your support through orders and FB posts.  It means the world to me.
Now I just need to get thinking(and creating) so I can re-stock my shop!

 


After much inner turmoil and debate I have decided to open up an Etsy shop.

Why the turmoil, you ask?  This is going to sound so stupid.

I'm afraid of failure (who isn't, right)?

What if people don't like the things I am selling? What if I can't sell anything?  (Low self esteem much?)

Here's what Joe has to say about it.

 "First off, people already like some of the things you have made because they have bought them, and secondly who cares if people like them or not?  It doesn't mean they don't like you."

Ah.  There's the heart of the matter.  If people don't like(or don't buy) the things that I have made then it means they don't like me.

I told you it sounded stupid.  And also, what am I, still in seventh grade?



The other concern I had was that several other of my fellow adoptive friends have opened up Etsy shops recently and I don't want to compete with them.  But Joe pointed out they are selling very different items than I am so I won't really be competing with them, but more participating in a like minded activity with people whom I share a common bond (He is a wise man.  :)

In fact, this lovely lady has recently opened up her shop and she is seriously talented. I wish I could sew like that!  Check it out!

(I don't know how to make the picture link to the site)  Click Here:  Las Palomas





So I bit the bullet.  I opened up an Esty shop.  I only have a few items in it right now.  I am working on a bunch of hand made cards that will go up in a couple of days.


If I don't sell anything then I don't sell anything.  At least I can say I tried.

So here it is:
(Still working on a button)
Wishing Star Designs    

(Gulp)

5 comments:

Joannah said...

Good luck with that, Michelle! I love Etsy. I just bought some prints for the baby's room there today.

:)

Gail said...

Good for you Michelle and good luck! I also love etsy, will be checking out your site.

Gail :)

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

Hee Haw! Congratulations!

Lea
xo

PS. drop by my blog for some fun!

Kayce said...

SO proud of you! SOOOOOOO proud!

D & S said...

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for the shout out. Good luck to you!

I understand the fear of failure. It's scary putting yourself out there.