Sunday, April 22, 2012

Do Over

O.K., this post is really old, but again, it was in my drafts box so I'm putting it out there.  Plus, we are getting ready to hike this trail again, so it's timely in that sense.

Does anyone who still reads here remember this post?  If not, the gist of it was that we went on a hike and I had to be taken down the trail in an ambulance.  Embarrassing!

That was almost four years ago.  We haven't hiked that trail since then.  I have been too afraid, and obviously that particular trail was beyond my physical capabilities.  I'm not saying we haven't hiked since then(because obviously we have), but we have not gone in the same geographical location.

Until a month ago.  Like I mentioned in my last post, we have been trying very hard(and succeeding at) becoming more physically fit.  We have been walking or riding our bikes 3 times a week, and I have been walking on my lunch break a couple of times a week. I have also been doing the 9 week program on my Wii Active 2 game(it's like having your own personal trainer-it's hard!).  I can really feel my body changing.  Now instead of just fat I can feel a little muscle developing underneath it!

I decided I wanted to try hiking that area again.  It's such a beautiful area to hike.

So we decided to try a trail across from the one I failed at, but a bit more difficult than the last. The whole trail was 4.5 miles and reached an elevation of 1,100 feet.

I kept telling myself that it was o.k. if I couldn't do the whole thing, and that I should stop if I felt like it was too much.

The weather was perfect(not too hot, which was part of the problem last time).

Armed with hats and plenty of sunscreen and water, we started up the trail.


This trail was MUCH harder than the one we tried 4 years ago.  So much steeper. We climbed pretty much straight up for an hour or so.  We stopped to rest a lot.



The reward when you get to the top is supposed to be a view of the ocean but it was too hazy/foggy to really see it.


There were quite a few flowers in bloom.  I think they are confused by the mild winter we have had.






Finally when we reached the bottom, two and a half hours later, there is this lovely meadow



And a beautiful oak tree


I am so proud of myself for making it up(and down) the whole trail!

Next Saturday we're going to do it again!



1 comment:

dawn said...

GO girl GO. I'm really impressed.
I love Wii fit and Wii active. For those that have never tried it they should it can be a lot more challenging than most people think.

It's time you posted some photos of the new you.

P.S. Lily wore her necklace all week. It's her "grounding, Zen Place", charm for tough testing weeks at school, she loves it.