Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Run Forrest, run

Joe and I had the following conversation the other day while we were out exercising:

Me: ugh! I always forget to bring tissue when I am running. My nose always runs when I run(haha). It's so annoying!

Joe: you just need to learn to do snot rockets.

Me: um...NO.

Joe: yes, that would solve your problem. Here, let me show you. (Proceeds to shoot snot out of one of his nostrils onto the ground)

Me: (gagging). Gross. Gross gross gross gross gross. Do NOT do that in front of me again.

Joe: whatever. It's better than having to carry tissue with you every time you run

Me: I'm okay with that. Thanks.

So I am still trying this running thing. And I still hate it. I am on week five of the couch to fivek program and it really doesn't seem like it's getting any easier. I'm simply not able to run for any length of time over three minutes or so. Not because my body won't do it(like in the beginning), but because I can't catch my breath.

Twice I became so winded that I had to stop and sit down because I thought I was going to pass out. I don't know if it's because I am so fat or if it has something to do with my respiratory system. I have been having a lot of congestion lately and kind of a wheezing cough afterwards.

I used to have asthma but I haven't had it in years.

I did read that people with kidney disease have decreased lung function and I wonder if it has to do with that. I'm seeing my doctor next week. I'm going to see what he thinks.


That makes it sound like an excuse and I really don't mean it to be. I'm not quitting. I'm just disappointed that I am not progressing with the program like I am "supposed" to.

For now I am running for three minutes and walking for two, even though on the program I should be running for five and walking for three by now. I'm just going to do what I can do right now. I have improved my time quite a bit since starting, and I do feel good about that.

Either way it's getting me outside and it's great cardio so that's a good thing, and we have some lovely walking trails, as you can see below. Spring is in high gear around here and the flowers are beautiful.


Today is my Mom's birthday. It just felt weird writing a post and not acknowledging that somehow. Happy birthday mom. You are still missed, even after all this time.



1 comment:

Spacemom said...

There is no "supposed to" in running. If you run, you run. Period...
:)
My husband does snot rockets. I swear it is a boy thing.