Saturday, May 07, 2011

Happy Mother's Day


I'm not going to do the traditional depressing Mother's Day post this year .

Not because it doesn’t still suck, because it does. It’s just that I have already done it so many times in the past that I think people are tired of hearing about it.

Mother’s Day is hard for those of us whose Moms left too soon and who want more than anything to be Mothers ourselves but for reasons we will never understand it isn’t meant to be at this time.


Instead I am going to leave you with this beautiful piece of writing that my good friend Journeywoman wrote  It really touched me when I read it and it is something that I would have said myself if I was as eloquent with words as Journeywoman is.


My wish:


For the mothers, I wish you a happy mother’s day.

For those who have lost their mothers--I wish you comfort

For those who are hoping to become mothers--I wish you luck and speed on your journey

For those who are childless (not by choice) -- I wish you comfort and the knowledge you are not alone.

For those who are childfree by choice--You Go Girls! You made a decision to swim against the stream--go you!



I end this with a hope.

That next mother's day will have all the women who want to be mothers--as mothers.

That all mothers will hold their children tightly.

That all adult children will reconcile with their mothers if it is possible and comfortable to do so.

That all child-free women are made to feel empowered instead of ashamed.

And that the great mother of us all will grant us all peace.

"There are no great things, only small things with great love"--Mother Teresa (another woman who was never a mom!)

She is an amazing writer and sometimes I swear she is inside my head because many times I am thinking the same exact thing has written.  Thank you Journeywoman, for the beautiful writing and for being my friend.



If you celebrate, I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day.



If it a hard day for you, please know that I understand and I'm sorry.  My plan this year is to stay in bed and pull the covers over my head until it is over.  Joe is downloading a bunch of movies for me to watch so I don't get too bored.  I don't know it that is a healthy coping mechanism, but it has worked in the past.

4 comments:

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

YOU ARE AMAZING! I don't think I have every been so touched by you. And, believe you have touched me many times.

Much love to you my friend.

lea
xo

Journeywoman said...

*Hugs*

I know today sucks beyond the telling of it. YOU are an amazing writer and an amazing person.

Take care of yourself. Call if you need to. Leave a message if you need to--that's the best thing about living on different coasts--I can call you back late!

mam said...

Hugs, virtually.

Kelli said...

Thinking of you!