Monday, May 02, 2011

Recipe of the Week


************I missed posting yesterday so I am going to change this to Day 27 and pretend that yesterday didn't happen.  I was offline all day and had nothing to post anyway.*************



Chicken Fried Rice with Broccoli

1/2 Tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 onion
1 1/2 pounds cooked, cubed chicken meat
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 large carrots, diced
3/4 peas
(I use frozen carrots and peas mixture.  For a fresher alternative you could use fresh.  I'm all about the easy here though)
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
6 Cups cold, cooked rice
2 eggs, scrambled
1/3 C soy sauce


The rice has to be cold for it to fry properly.  I have seen recipes where it actually calls for rice that is several days old, but I never do this.  I have Joe cook it earlier in the day and put it in the fridge and it turns out fine.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and saute until soft, then add chicken and 2 tablespoons soy sauce and stir fry for 6 minutes.

Add sesame oil and stir in carrots, pea pods and green bell pepper and stir fry another 5 minutes. Remove vegetables and chicken from pan and set aside.

Add rice to pan and fry for several minutes on both sides.

In another pan, stir fry broccoli on high heat with 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon soy sauce (if using frozen broccoli, cook according to package directions and add in to rice mixture at the end).

Finally, stir in scrambled eggs and 1/3 C soy sauce, heat through and serve hot.

It is soooo good.  One of our favorites!

Our looks just like this, but with Broccoli.   I couldn't find my camera to take a picture of ours and I couldn't find a picture on Google that had broccoli in it)







This is Spring Fing Day 27.  Oh yeah baby, I can see the finish line.  :)

1 comment:

Kim said...

I am off to go make this right now. I make fried rice, but really like your recipe. My recipe just comes out of my head.