Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memories

Like the corners of my mind
Misty water colored memories........

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.  And now you will have that song stuck in your head all day, just like I did yesterday.

You're welcome.     :)

Last Sunday I spent the day at my Aunt's house (I call her Tante, because that is the word for Aunt in Norwegian and well, my Dad's family is Norwegian.    :)

My Tante is moving.  She will be putting her house up for sale.  This saddens me.   I have a lot of childhood memories tied up in that house.  She and my Uncle lived there for 45 years so it's the only place that I have memories of them being.  We spent every Christmas Eve there as long as I can remember.

It's hard for me to fathom that she won't be there anymore.  While I was visiting she brought out an old strong box that belonged to my grandfather and my cousin, myself, my Dad and my Tante went through some of the contents.

I was so excited.

There were lots of pictures of course, but there were also a lot of documents from the 1900's.  The oldest item we found was a spelling test that my grandfather took when he was a kid. It was dated 1909.

1909!!  I don't think I have ever touched anything that was that old.  It was so cool.

They didn't have a scanner so I took some pictures of a lot of the things inside.


My Dad and Tante putting in the combination and trying to get the box open. It took several tries.

Success!



That little girl with the hat on is my Tante when she was little. Hee!  Love that picture.


My grandfather's pocket watch.





My Dad as a child, with his Dad and Grandfather (my great grandfather)
Circa late 1938 or so


Stamps were 3 cents!





Old keys


A report card from 1917




 Spelling test from 1909.  So.  Cool.




W2 from 1947. Yearly gross income $3, 823.49.  Wow.



It was strange seeing my Mom's handwriting on this wedding invitation she sent to her in laws many years ago.  I had forgotten what it looked like.




This wind sock is hanging in what used to be my Uncle's office.




We had so much fun going through the contents in that box.


I'll miss my Tante's house and all the memories I have there.



Me and my Tante






My Tante also gave me an old cuckoo clock that was at least 100 years old.  It's in pretty bad shape but I'm going to do some research and see if I can't restore it.  I don't know if I can get it actually working again, but I know I can at least make it look nice.  I'm so excited!  I'll keep you posted on my progress.

5 comments:

dawn said...

Oh such wonderful treasures. makes me think I should stop throwing everything out and start saving some of it.

Sounds like a fabulous time of walking down memory lane.

FishermansDaughter said...

Love this. So wonderful to have access to those sacred parts of history. Love cuckoo clocks too - especially old ones. Good luck restoring it and please post pics!

Brenda said...

Michelle: I have a big tub of very similar treasures from my parents. They used to dance at the Paladium during WWII. Our old house in Burbank was blown up for the 5 Freeway - and it was heartbreaking. I SOOO understand all of this....

Michal said...

How bittersweet. To be able to see and touch those old family treasures but getting to do so means that your Aunt is reaching a different stage in her life. I understand what you are going through. I love the picture of you two together.

Kylie's momma said...

Sooooo cool! Priceless! Cherish them forever Michelle :-)