Friday, March 10, 2006

The Home visit went great!

At least I think it did. The Social Worker was very nice. She was here for a little over an hour. The questions were pretty basic. We totally aced all of the parenting questions! I explained a little bit of my discipline strategies for smaller children, and Joe told her how he handles his "Big" kids. (They're actually considered adults, but they are straight from high school and I'm sorry, but they are still kids!) She said we were both right on target with our explanations. She even seemed a little bit surprised that were so knowledgeable about those things. The only time I messed up was when I admitted that I have been seeing a therapist. Joe and I both agreed ahead of time that we were only going to give out the information that was required, and no more. When she asked me outright if I had ever seen a therapist, I couldn't lie! Then she proceeded to ask me how recently I had seen her, and I admitted that I was still seeing her! Again, I simply cannot lie. She seemed a little surprised by this information. She said it should be fine as long as I get a letter from my therapist saying that my "mild depression" won't affect my parenting skills. Darn it! I should have kept my mouth shut! Anyway, we're meeting again on Tuesday in San Diego(where she's from), and then we'll have one more meeting and that's it. You guys were right. I made more of a big deal out of it than I needed to. But hey, I'm good at it! :) I'm off to pick up some lunch. I have been so nervous all day that I forgot to eat and now I'm starving!

4 comments:

Kim M. said...

Michelle,
Hi it's Kim from One More Makes Four. You forgot what else we have in common, I have a daughter Sophie and you will have one. Also I'm 35 and so are you!

It's such a relief when the home visit runs smoothly! I look forward to following your blog.

Stephanie said...

Sounds like you guys did great! Now, you should definately post another Corners since your house is all nice and clean!

Anonymous said...

I was going to e-mail this to you, but I don't see an e-mail link...so I will just out myself here. I wanted to let you know not to worry about the therapist. My agency made me see a therapist because of my CHILDHOOD, I did a couple of visits and got my letter. During my physical my doctor also marked depression on my sheet (because I was briefly on anti-depressants after having a hysterectomy/cancer at the age of 28!). Again, she said it wouldn't effect my parenting and we sailed through the rest of the homestudy and the review room in China. So don't worry about it. It's better to just be upfront and know you don't have to worry about slipping up on anything. Congrats on everything going so well.

P.S, the chair is super cute!

Michelle said...

Tracy-Thanks so much for the encouraging words! I feel much better about it now. My husband will be very happy for me to stop obsesseing over it! :)