Saturday, February 24, 2007

Today has been kind of a lazy day. I went to lunch with some friends this morning(previously known as my infertility group. I can't call them that anymore because one of them has a seven month old baby and the other is seven months pregnant.) We had a wonderful time, and then spent some time window shopping. Last night I went out with some friends from work, and we ended up doing some window shopping then too. I didn't buy anything. Trying to stick to that budget. Anyway, many of the stores we wandered into were clearance stores like "Off Fifth Avenue" and the "Nordstrom Rack". They sell designer clothes and shoes at what is supposed to be a huge discount. What this means is that you can get a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes that originally cost $595.00 for $300.00. You can also get a Donna Karen t-shirt that originally cost $395.00 for around $200. Or you may find a Gucci handbag that cost $1990.00 for $1200. These are great discounts, I'll admit it. And I'm not judging you if you are into any of these things. But I simply don't have the money to make purchases like these. Also, I wasn't born with the name brand bug. I could care less that I have fake Ugg boots. The last pair of shoes I bought was at Walmart for nine dollars. I have also been known to buy my shoes at Payless. I practically live at Target. Some of the women I work with love designer bags. They won't have anything else. And it seems like it turns into some kind of obsession because they must have the newest bag that is out at the time. They change purses like I change my underwear. It is completely foreign to me. Whenever they start talking about the lastest designer bag on the market, my eyes glaze over and I usually get up and find something to do. It just isn't me. It's not that I don't have things that I do like. I simply adore anything from here. And I lover her as well. But I can honestly say I have never made a purchase from either of these vendors that was over a hundred dollars. Sometimes I hear about someone purchasing a five hundred dollar handbag and I find myself thinking "Do you know how many hungry people you could feed?". Or I have friends that are remodeling their bathroom and it is costing twenty thousand dollars and I am thinking "If I had that much money I give some of it to Love Without Boundaries. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I am a better person than someone else. I am simply saying my priorities have changed in the last few years. I don't have a big house. We live in an apartment. I don't drive a fancy car. I don't own any Tiffany jewelry. And it's O.K. All I need is my wonderful husband, my sweet doggies(and kitty), and my daughter(someday), living in our cozy two bedroom apartment. Who could ask for more?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I am with you sister! I like the simple things in life too. There is nothing better I like than a deal. A real deal, like something that used to be $50 is now $10! That's my kind of deal.

Hugs,
Jonni
www.journeytosofia.com

Kristin said...

To me, some things are worth paying more for... great black pants, a winter coat... the classics.

Anything trendy?

Target.