Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My husband has been receiving letters from a student saying he is incompetent and must be fired. This student has contacted both the Dean and President of the school, and they have both sided with Joe, but it still makes me angry. Very angry. Spitting mad. I can understand that there will be personality coflicts with students, and that students will at times be upset about the grades they receive. But this student has sent two e-mails that are extremely insulting and degrading towards my husband as a person and as a teacher, and it truly upsets me. I have good reason to believe that this particular student is not, how shall I say this, "dealing with a full deck". I don't want him contacting with my husband again. Period. The class is over, and this student should not be contacting him at all. He got the grade he deserved(a "D"), and my husband already declined to change it, and spoke with the Dean once regarding this issue. The Dean fully supported Joe's decision, and told him to simply forward any future correspondence from this student to him. I am not satisfied with this. I want them to tell this student that he is under no circumstances to contact my husband again, or they will take action. What kind of action, I don't know yet. All I know is that this is upsetting my husband, which upsets me, and I' m not going to sit around and let him be treated this way. I am way pissed off. I need to calm down about it before I discuss what the options are with my husband. He wants to just "let it go". No! I am always the one to let everything go, and some things are worth fighting for. No one deserves to be treated this way. Especially, my kind, wonderful, caring husband, who is one of the best teachers I have ever met. I'm not going down without a fight. Don't mess with me or the people I love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That kid is just pissed that he got the grade that he deserved. My husband is an part-time professer at a local county college. At the end of each semester the students have to fill out a survey about the class and teacher. You can always tell which ones came from the students with the awful grades - they are the only one's who make comments like "I couldn't understand the teacher's heavy JAPANESE accent!" Geez, if you are going to insult my husband, at least get his nationality right!!
Stephanie
forksandchopsticks.wordpress.com

JMCS said...

I am sorry to hear that the student is behaving that way. My huband went through something similar recently and I too wanted to kick someone's butt. At least the good part was that the Dean stood by your hubby and hopefully that student will get a clue and quit his crap.

Hugs,
Jonni