Thursday, December 13, 2007

We'll Leave the Light on For You

I think that is the slogan for a hotel chain. Wait, let me check.......Yup. I was right. It is the slogan for this hotel chain. Well apparently it is also the new slogan for our home. Let me explain.
Every night when I come home after work, I pull into my parking space, which is right outside Sophie's room. Since we moved into our new apartment, I started noticing that the light was on in her bedroom. So every night when I got home I would go inside and turn it off. The next night I would come home and see that the light was on again. Hmmm.......that's strange. Again I would go inside and turn it off. I must have done this ten or twelve times(yes, I can be a bit slow on the uptake at times). Finally one night I came home and turned it off once again, and when Joe came home I asked him if he kept leaving Sophie's light on. He didn't answer at first. I thought he didn't hear him and asked again.
Me: "Joe? Are you turning Sophie's light on every night, because I keep turning it off and every night when I come home, it is on again!"
Him: He looked at me sheepishly and replied "Yeah. I've been turning it on every night after you go to bed."
Me: "Why? It's really annoying for me to have to go and turn it off every night."
Him: "I'm sorry. It's just that I'm going to leave her light on all the time. Until she comes home."
Me: "Oh. Well you could have told me. It would save me the trouble of coming in and turning it off every night."
Him: "Sorry. I should have told you."
Me: "Ummmm...that's okay. That's really sweet."

But do you know what I was really thinking?

You're planning on leaving her light on all the time? Until she comes home?
Do you know how much electricity that is going to waste?

Yeah. I'm up for wife of the year this year. At least I kept that last part to myself!

7 comments:

fuzzandfuzzlet said...

I think that is really sweet, but agree that it is a waste of electricity. Maybe you can buy a special night light? Or a lamp and use a low watt bulb?

Kristin said...

That's so sweet!! (Just go and buy some of those eco-friendly bulbs!)

Steffie B. said...

Oh sweet....how about one of those battery candles....that sure would be cheaper! ;)

Kayce said...

OMG! I love it!!! I just shut the nursery door and have it locked from the inside so I can't get in... haha just kidding!

Verna said...

Very Sweet!! I agree with Stef, maybe a small candle or a less powerful lightbulb. No matter what, that's one to put in Sophie's bably book.

Kylie's momma said...

Aaaah! That is super sweet. You might get one of those battery operated candles that folks use at Christmas. Might not be nearly as $$. Giggle Giggle I too was thinking about the expense of a light being on 24/7. Sad huh!? What a sweet memory to tell Sophie when she's older. Hats off to Daddy!

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so sweet. It is his way of honoring and remembering Sophie in his heart. When I was waiting for my 2nd baby, my older daughter and I had a candle that we lit every night after dinner and said a little prayer for her. Maybe the two of you can do something like this together each night. But, I also think that it is such a sweet gesture on his part. Hoping that the wait treats you gently......

Michele, Mom to Emily (5) and Alyssa (2)
www.ourjourneytoalyssa.blogspot.com