Saturday, July 29, 2006

Sleep. It's all the rage

I told myself that I wasn't going to post any more entries about being sick. I really need to learn to keep my promises. Yeah, I'm sick again. I won't go into the symptoms. If you really want to know, all you have to do is scroll down to a few prior posts and you can read them all in detail. All I know is that I'm getting tired of it. I missed lunch with my Dad today, and that makes me cranky. I'm not used to being sick so much. I'm used to being in pain, but that's different. When I'm in pain, I can still function. I take some pain pills, I pop my heating pad on, and I'm good to go. But I'm really sick. I can't get out of bed. All I can do is lay around on the couch or sleep. I went to bed at 11:00 last night. I got up at 11:00 this morning. I was up for an hour and a half, then I went back to bed for three and a half hours. Only now do I feel rested. According to the kidney disease support website I frequent, people with my type of disease need at least twelve hours of sleep a night. This is physically impossible for me to do during the week. I have to be up at 5:30 a.m., and obviously I can't go to bed at 6:00 in the evening. So what I'm wondering is, maybe my body is trying to "catch up" on my sleep on the weekends? Although I did read a study that claimed it is impossible to catch up or save sleep. So I just don't know. All I know is, almost every Saturday I have been feeling pretty rotten. I felt very good yesterday and last night. I literally woke up this way. If the pattern holds, I'll feel pretty good tomorrow too. I know this is probably pretty boring for you all to be reading, and I'm sorry for that. I am the kind of person who needs a reason for everything. I want to know why I am feeling like this so frequently, and what I can do about it. Two things I am nowhere near having answers to. I see the nephrologist again next week. I have a list of questions to ask him. Hopefully he will have some answers for me. Until then, I sleep. And lay around on the couch. Oh, and it never crosses my mind that this could be a real problem when we have a one year old. One year olds sleep a lot, right?

No comments: