Sunday, September 10, 2006

September 11

Tomorrow is September 11th. What can I say about this day that hasn't already been said by hundreds of other people much more eloquently? I didn't lose any loved ones that day. I don't live anywhere near New York, and didn't experience any of the terror. And yet that day will forever stand out in my memory as one of the most terrible days of my life. I remember sitting glued to the televesion for hours on end, watching the smoke rise from Ground Zero. I was alone that night, as Joe had a class. I was sad, scared, and overwhelmed. The next week was a blur. In the months following, Joe would often come home and find me watching a talk show or news program about the missing or dead, and I would be sobbing uncontrollably. He asked me why I watched these shows if they made me so sad, and I told him I needed to. It was the only way I could feel connected to that tragedy. To know a little bit about those that had died. I won't be posting anything tomorrow. In many ways tomorrow will be just a normal day for me. I will get up and go to work and go about my daily life. But I will also be thinking about all of the people who lost their lives that day, and the heroes that saved so many. I will light a candle and say a prayer. I will remember.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Well said.

Kristin said...

It still is, even after 5 years, so fresh in my mind.

Have a good day tomorrow and focus on the joy in your life!

Laura said...

Ditto. Well said.