Tuesday, November 21, 2006

That last post is proof that I cannot spell when I am tired. I can't get Blogger's spell check to work on my browser. I don't know why. I am usually a stickler for spelling. I will even go back and change a post if I read it and find spelling errors. I'm too lazy to do that now. I am so looking forward to having four days off. So. Looking. Forward. To it. This is the longest short week ever. I'm still having stress at work. I think there are big changes coming ahead, but I can't talk about them right now. The particular problem that is causing me stress is going to come to a head soon. Or rather I am going to have to confront someone about it and it will get ugly(on their part, not mine). Sigh. I would at least like to get through the holidays before having to deal with that. Every morning when I wake up I pray for God to give me patience to deal with my co-workers(and the children, but honestly they are easier than the adults.) I have been trying very hard to have a positive outlook and let things roll off my back instead of becoming annoyed or upset over them. Here's something that tested my patience today. I had to leave work to buy some craft supplies and on the way back I was stopped at a traffic light. I was making a left hand turn and there was one car in front of me. It was an elderly person. The light turned green, and she didn't start inching out into the intersection. She didn't move at all, but stayed firmly behind the crosswalk line. The light remained green, and eventually it was clear. Still she did not move. The light turned yellow, then red. I was annoyed that I had to wait at the same light twice, but shrugged it off. The light turned green again. Still she did not move. Later it occurred to me that she may have been waiting for a green arrow, which this particular traffic light did not have. Again the light turns yellow, then red. I am becoming seriously annoyed at this point. By this time several cars are behind me so I can't even go around her. I have a personal policy that I do not honk at other drivers(unless they don't see me and I want them to know I am there). I don't think it helps, and in this day and age with road rage and such, you never know what kind of crazy person is in the car next to you. I especially don't honk at elderly people. It just isn't nice. I hate to be honked at, so I don't honk at others. By the time the light turned green a fourth time, the other cars were either going around us or laying on their horns. The woman kept looking nervously in her rear view mirror, but still did not move. I did not honk at her. I sat there and willed her to move at the next green light. Finally, when the fifth light was turning from yellow to red, she turned. I had to wait for the light one more time before I was able to proceed, putting my time at the light at about ten minutes and six green lights. And yet I remained calm. That woman was doing the best she could. Maybe she honestly didn't know what to do at a light without an arrow. Maybe she was in an accident and was nervous. I don't know. I'll never know. What I do know is that I remained patient and did not allow myself to become agitated like I normally would. I need to remember to do this more often. I'll be a better person for it.

No comments: