Thursday, May 03, 2007

Pre-Op Appointment

Today was my pe-op appoinment with the Gyn for my surgery. He really spent a lot of time with us and answered all of my questions. I have to admit, I am getting very nervous. This surgery is going to be much different than my previous three surgeries. First off, he wants to have two units of my blood on hand just in case. The problem is, I can't give it because I am anemic right now(having two twelve day periods with only eight days between them will do that to you I guess). He wants me to see if Joe and I have the same blood type, and if we don't he wants me to find some donors that I trust. Ummm....anyone want to give me some of their blood? I won't know my blood type until tomorrow, but please pray that Joe is a match. I don't want to have to go and ask my friends and family to donate blood for me. Also, he says he would really prefer I spend at least three nights in the hospital. Three nights! That means I'll be in the hospital on Mother's Day for sure. Yippee. I also have to have an EKG done before the surgery. He wants me to have my nephrologist do it, since I am seeing him on Tuesday anyway. All of this is starting to freak me out just a little. I get test results on my kidneys on Tuesday, and surgery on Friday. Only five more days of work left. It is going by lightning quick and painstakingly slow at the same time, if that makes sense. It will be here before I know it.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Praying for you!!!

Michelle

Stacey T. said...

You will be so HAPPY afterwards. I know I was. At first it's a pain, but I went back to work in 3 weeks, and not having pain or periods was a huge BLESSING.

If you can't get friends to donate, blood is safe. ALSO, check with your insurance, sometimes they don't pay for the "blood donated from relative/friend" and it can be about 1200 per pint for processing.

Good luck and I'll be thinking of you. Maybe the hospital will have Wi-Fi????

D & S said...

I hope your surgery goes well. I wish you all the best!

Kayce said...

Like Stacey said...you will be soo happy afterwards! I had my hysto when I was 28 and let me tell you I've never been happier!

I had two blood transfusions with blood from a blood bank, I was scared to death but they promised me it was fine.

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Are you and Lisa identical twins? You must have the same blood type. BTW, I wish I could convince my doctor that my life would be so much better if I had a hysterectomy. Can't stand those two week periods.

Kristin said...

You're going to feel so great... you won't believe the difference!

Keeping you in my thoughts,

K.