Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Playing Hooky

I didn't go to work today. I was supposed to go, I just didn't. I was scheduled to go in late because of a doctor's appt.(more on that later), but my appointment ended up taking so much longer than I expected that I decided to call in sick for the rest of the day. Joe had to twist my arm a little, and offered to take me to lunch. It was a difficult choice to make, but I wound up choosing lunch with my husband over going in to work for a few hours. Go figure! I really would have only been able to put in a few hours anyway, and I have plenty of sick time saved up. I had taken this coming Friday off a month ago, so it looks like I'll be having two three-day works weeks in a row. Awesome! Anyway, back to my Doctor's appointment. I went to see a new Gastroenterologist. I want to be sure all of my health issues are being taken care of. After my surgery, I want to feel GOOD. 2006 is going to be a year where I am in good health and am pain free. I am going to do whatever I have to do to make this a reality. So I'm slowly checking off my list of doctors that I have to see about some of my current health problems. So today I was off to see a Gastroenterologist regarding my Reflux and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The doctor I saw is new to me, and I really like him. He seemed very caring and thorough. He was funny too. He did do something that struck me as odd when I first met him though. I was explaining to him some of my medical history, and then I told him that I was scheduled for a Pre-Sacral Neurectomy next month. When I said this he visibly shuddered and said Ugh! He shuddered the kind of shudder where your shoulders shake and your head moves back and forth! Try to picture this if you can. You have just told your new doctor you are going to have a scary surgery to help rid you of your pain and he reacts like that! I was so shocked by his reaction that I burst out laughing and told him that wasn't exactly the reaction I was looking for! He laughed too, and began apologizing profusely, saying that it was something he didn't know a lot about, but the name of the surgery itself is intimidating. No kidding! Later on Joe said it struck him as funny that a doctor who routinely inserts items into people's colons would react like that to a gynecological procedure. I don't know about funny, but it does make me a tad bit nervous about the upcoming procedure. Despite that one incident, I really did like him. He wants me to go on Prevacid for the Reflux, but he wants to wait until after the surgery to deal with the IBS, which is what I figured he would say. I'm scheduled to go back to see him in January for a followup. Now I'm off to run a few errands before meeting up with the friend I am going to share a table with at the boutique on Friday.

No comments: