Tuesday, January 03, 2006

The joys of parenthood

Well, we made it through our first night of substitute parenting without a hitch. The second night, I'm sorry to say, didn't go as smoothly. Gracie awoke at 4:30 this morning crying, so I sent Joe down to see what was the matter(that's the Dad's job right?). I was thinking he would comfort her and put her back to sleep so we could all finish out what was left of the morning in blissful slumber until the alarm went off at 6:30. But noooo...what does he do instead? He brings her up and puts her in our(Lisa and Scott's) bed! And then he turned over and went right back to sleep! So who do you think spent from 4:30-5:30 this morning trying to get back to sleep while me and the two year old had the following conversation:

Gracie: Shell?(while feeling my face to see if my eyes were open)
Me: Shhhhh....It's night night time. Go to sleep.
Gracie: Where Momma?
Me: You know where Momma is
Gracie: On boat?
Me: Yes
Gracie: Where Dada?
Me: With Momma
Gracie: On boat?
Me: Yes
Gracie: Oh
Gracie: Shell?
Me: Shhh...Go to sleep
Gracie: No No No No (But at least she laid down and stopped poking me in the eyes)
Me: I say nothing, and try to ingnore her to see if that will make her go back to sleep. I am too tired to put her back in her crib. Eventually she did fall asleep, but after about an hour of my much needed beauty rest was interrupted. I wanted to cry when the alarm went off an hour later, at 6:30.
I'm feeling better now, after having dropped Cameron off at school and drinking three cups of coffee. I'm sure I'll be falling asleep shortly after dinner, at about 7:00 p.m. tonight.

No comments: