Sunday, January 08, 2006

Slightly better day

I'm feeling a tiny bit better. I talked to the doctor on call. He said exactly what we thought he would say. If the pain is bad and persists, take what painkillers I have on hand and see the doc on Monday, or go to the E.R. After much discussion I decided I didn't need to go to the Emergency room. Big Surprise huh? Actually, the pain has been bearable since this morning when I took a Percocet. The problem is, although they work remarkably for the pain, they really make me feel drugged and sleepy. I have been in bed since 5:00 on Friday night. I have been asleep for all but 5 or 6 hours of that time. Many people have wondered why I won't go to the E.R. I have posted about this before. It's more than the fact that it is uncomfortable and they keep you there forever. I've been to the E.R. four times in the last ten years (all for the same symptoms), and they have yet to diagnose the correct problem. They always come back saying they don't know what is causing the pain. It's nice to have the pain killers, but I have some pretty good ones at home right now, and I get to stay in the comfort of my own bed. The other reason is that although the pain this time was extremely uncomfortable and at times constant, it wasn't excruciating. It was bearable, with Percocet and warm baths and a heating pad. I don't want to take up a room that someone else with a serious illness or injury might need. What if there was a car accident or something and they needed the room that I was in? Each time I took a trip to the E.R. I was there a minimum of six hours. It's not like they admit you, give you pain killers, and let you go home. There are a myriad of tests they must perform first. Most of them are uncomfortable, especially when you are already in pain. And then they always come back with "Everything looks normal. We don't know why you are in pain." Endometriosis is a very difficult disease to diagnose. It doesn't show up on X-rays or ultrasounds. The pain can be very elusive too. It seems to be almost impossible to detect exactly what is causing it. I will be making an appointment with my doctor tomorrow, so he knows what my symptoms are and to rule out anything serious, like an infection. But I fully expect him to look puzzled and not be able to say why exactly I am having this pain. Joe has already decided I am in no shape to go to work tomorrow, and has already called my boss for me. I have extreme guilt about this. I have just returned from a three week absence, which I had to extend by one day last week. We are already short handed, as one person took an extended vacation and won't be back until the 18th. But I don't have a choice in the matter now. I agree that we do need to get to the bottom of this, as this is no way to live. I wonder sometimes why everything must always be so complicated.

No comments: