Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dragon Boat Races and Three Words

I'm back from my weekend at the Dragon Boat Races. I have been trying to come up with the proper words to describe my experience this weekend, and all I can come up with is:

Wow.

What a truly amazing experience. The fun, the excitement, the camaraderie, the teamwork. All of it. So cool.

I participated in two races on Saturday and one race today.

In my first race yesterday, we came in sixth.

Ummm....out of six. Yeah. Last place.

In my second race, we also came in sixth. Out of six.

Remember when I said we were a non-competitive team? :)

But in the second race the fifth place boat only beat us by one second! One. Second. And the fourth place boat only beat us by two seconds.

But today we rallied and raced our best race yet and we came in Fourth place! Oh my Gosh, you would have thought we won the entire race, as excited as we were.

This has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life and I Can. Not. Wait.
Until next year.

For now, I am sunburned to a crisp(Sunscreen. Hmph. Apparently you have to reapply it many times throughout the day. Which I forgot to do).

And so sore I can barely hobble to the bathroom.

But it's a good kind of sore. It's an-I accomplished something I never in a million years thought a fat chick could accomplish- kind of sore.

And I feel gooooooood.

And totally out of my funk.

For sure.

I'm off now to lie prone on the couch for the rest of the day. And probably break out that Ben-Gay cream I have lying around in the bathroom drawer somewhere :)

Here are a few pictures, with my three words for the week at the end.












That's our team in the race today, where we came in fourth place.

And my three words for this week:



9 comments:

Kylie's momma said...

Waaaay COOL! I'm so jealous! it gives me goosebumps just reading about it. Ain't it great to be sore for a GOOD reason?! So cool! Stinks to live in a landlocked state...no dragon boat races anywhere close:-( Way to go Michelle!

DeAnn said...

Michelle That looks so fun! Im so glad you did this. I should have come up there to see you and cheered you on! next time... definately....

Shelley said...

Awesome! Good for you, Michelle. What a great experience. I am so envious. :)

Shell

Unknown said...

We saw a couple of races today in Denver. That is so cool that you actually raced!!!!

OH MY #6 said...

I feel all teary! Yeah for you!

Lea
xo

Retro Girl said...

Looks like a fabulous time!
Glad you are feeling better...except for the sunburn and soreness...

The photos are great! Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...

Congrat's on your racing. It's wonderful that you came home feeling so good!! I'm going to take a lesson from you and do something I have never done. Keep up the good things. Linda

Kayce said...

SO AWESOME Michelle!!

Lisa said...

Good for you!! I could NEVER do it but admire you for it!