Saturday, May 13, 2006

Mother's Day. Bah.

If you are looking for a happy, sweet Mother's Day post, you will have to visit my sister's site. Yup, my nephew is cute. I'm afraid I have nothing happy or sweet to say today. Mother's Day is not my favorite day of the year. In fact, it ranks right up there with October 15th. That is the day my Mom died. I miss my Mom all throughout the year, but certain days are worse then others. Like the day she died. Her birthday. Christmas. And Mother's Day. It isn't just missing my Mom that makes me loathe Mother's Day. It's the fact that I don't fit in with the rest of the world on this day. I am not a Mother. I do not have a Mother to celebrate with. I feel a little bit like a single person must feel on Valentine's Day. Everywhere I go, everywhere I turn, there are advertisements for Mother's Day. Florists, cell phone companies, even Home Depot has commercials geared towards Mothers. Every time one of those commercials comes on the television or radio, I roll my eyes and turn the station. I'm sick of hearing about it. I'll be glad when it's over. For a few years my husband thought we should get out of the house, that it would make me feel better, so he took me out to breakfast. It was not a good idea. Everywhere I turned, there were babies and children. Mothers and their daughters. Every meal ended with me crying at the table while my husband hurried to pay the bill. We don't go out to breakfast on Mother's Day anymore. No, tomorrow we'll be doing what we do every year on Mother's Day. I'll stay in bed as long as I possibly can, with the covers pulled over my head. Then my husband will insist that I get up, and we'll go sit in a dark movie theater. We'll see an R-rated action-adventure movie where I'll be unlikely to run into any babies or daughters with their moms. Then we'll come home and I'll breathe a sigh of relief that I've made it through yet another Mother's Day unscathed. *Sigh* I have to believe that someday I might have a reason to celebrate this day. For all of you out there waiting, may this be one of the last Mother's Days that leaves you wishing.

5 comments:

glo said...

OK then....Happy New Year

Kim M. said...

Oh I'm sorry. At least you are one more holiday "out of the way" closer to getting Sophie! Hang in there.

Sandra said...

This is the first Mother's Day in a long time that I didn't cry so I know how you feel! I don't even go to church on this day because for some odd reason one of the mother types my church recognizes is the youngest mother(???) which is invariably a girl barely out of her teens. I decided to stay at home rather than send my dirty looks to her in church! Bad isn't it! hehe Hugs to you girl!

Joannah said...

Michelle, it's all sweetness re: Mother's Day on my blog, but to be honest it's wasn't that great a day. My family, while they are very supportive of my adoption, did not recognize the significance of the day for me at all. Not a card. Not a nod towards the near future when I will be a mom. Nada...

I'll have to give my mom a break as she's busy getting ready to leave for Europe this week, and my sister is so detached in general that she didn't even register that she was going to be an aunt until a co-worker asked her if she was excited about being an aunt very recently. Her response was, "What? Oh, you're right!" Whatever...

So, there you have it.

It bummed me out though.

Gracencameronsmomy said...

Glo-
Ha ha! Love it!
Lisa