Thursday, April 26, 2007

Being the Bigger person

Work has been a big topic of conversation around my house lately. I am ready for my last day. I am ready for this to be over and done. I got into a

screaming match heated discussion the other day with my boss about me leaving, and why, and why she didn't even have the courtesy to say one word when I gave my notice. No "Thank you for fourteen years of service", no "I'm sorry you are going", nothing. My husband is always telling me I can't expect people to act a certain way if they don't posess the maturity or emotional skills to do so. He says I have to be the bigger person, and act in a professional manner and ignore the

idiots people I am having problems with. All of this makes perfect sense. Yet at times is soooooo hard for me to do. I have been praying a lot about it, and asking God to please help me be the bigger person. It has been hard. I have been struggling. And then the blowout with my boss happened and I felt like I had failed. Miserably. Sometimes I wonder why do I always have to be the bigger person? How come no one else has to act like a mature adult? Why is it that I am the only person willing to be completely honest about my feelings and willing to talk about it? Then I realized these are not the questions I should be pondering. I should be asking myself how can I be a better person? I accept responsibility when I am wrong. I say I'm sorry if I did something that warrants it. I try to be a good person. But I haven't been trying hard enough lately. So I apologized to my boss today, and opened up the lines of communication regarding my departure. And you know what? She said all of the things I wanted to hear a long time ago. It was hard for her. She simply is not an emotional person and is unnaccustomed to sharing her true feelings. But I feel better about it now. I am still leaving. It will be a relief to go. But at least I am not leaving a job of fourteen years on bad terms. I will leave there knowing I did everything I could to make a bad situation right. I will leave there being the bigger person.

3 comments:

Kylie's momma said...

Good for you Michelle! I would've felt the same way and done the same thing. I know it really must be of some relief to know you WERE the bigger person. So now you can move on to your next adventure! Good Luck! YOU CAN DO IT!
Susan in MT.

Shelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelley said...

Alright Michelle - I'm proud of you. That took a lot of courage ...
especially feeling the way you did. I'm sure it's a huge sense of relief and closure for you. And that's a much better way to feel.

You can now move on to your next chapter without any regrets. And I'm sure not having the stress of dealing with a difficult boss will be much better for your health.

Cheers!

Shell :)