Friday, April 27, 2007

School Retreat



Today was our schoolwide retreat. In case you don't know what that is, a Retreat is a day which offers the students a chance to experience school and each other in a different light – to think about their faith, to deepen their prayer and to review their lives. We began the day with Mass. It was a beautiful, uplifting service, with an element of fun in the form of music and singing and a small play put on by one of our own priests. The kids truly enjoyed it. After a healthy snack, the highlight of the whole day was a concert by Ron Biagi. He is a high energy Christian children's singer. With song titles like "What if Jesus was a Soccer Star", and "Even Cool Guys and Groovy Girls need Jesus", it isn't hard to see why the kids go nuts for this guy. He has Backstreet Boys like moves for all of his songs, and performs them in a boyish, goofy kind of way that has the adults bopping along and the kids following every move. If you have kids and are into Christian Music, I highly recommend his C.D.'s. They're upbeat, catchy tunes with cool dance moves and a Christian message. I tried to upload a short video of the dance moves, but YOUTUBE was having none of it. SO check out his website. I am going to pick up a couple of his C.D.'s for Sophie. With the way music is headed nowadays, it is nice to have some wholesome choices out there. The retreat ended with a game and a craft. The whole experience was everything that I love about working at a Christian school. The sense of community with the parents and teachers working together toward a common goal, the message we are teaching our children that God loves them and they can be anything they want to be if they have a relationship with Him. I have to admit, the day made me wonder what I am doing. How can I leave the school enviornment? How can I not work with kids anymore? Am I making the right decision to leave the childcare profession? How can I not work in a Christian enviornment? What am I doing? Needless to say I am feeling a bit insecure today about the job situation. It will pass. It really was a lovely day and I am so glad I was a part of it.

No comments: