Friday, January 18, 2008

Things get even more worse(worser?).....but then slightly better

The pain and swelling of every joint in my body went from bad, to worse, to the worst pain I have ever felt last night. I couldn't stand upright. My hands were frozen in what I can only explain as "lobster claws". My knees and ankles felt like someone was sticking pins and needles into them. This was a whole other level of pain. And I know pain. I suffered with it for over twenty years and had four surgeries to try an relieve it. But this pain? No, I have never in my life experienced it. And I have to say, if this is what people with arthritis feel on a daily basis, my heart goes out to you. Because I don't know how one goes about living with this type of pain on a daily basis. I just don't. So after an agonizing night(Joe had to take me to the bathroom. I couldn't untie my pajama pants), it was decided that we need to go to the hospital. We pulled into the hospital around ten this morning, and they were pretty quick about getting the show on the road. My hands were so swollen they had to cut my wedding ring off. There were some tears shed over this fact. It's just a ring. And it can be fixed. I know that. It's just I haven't had it off for more than a few hours time in the entire length of our marriage and we're coming up on our fifteenth year and I felt a bit sad watching them cut it off with what looked like a teeny-tiny table saw. Next came the I.V. Followed by some pain medication. Ahhhh, wonderful, glorious pain medication. And some Benadryl. Lots of Benadryl. And some Steroids, and anti-nausea medicine. This was followed by my immediate passing out on the bed(and I use this term loosely) on my part. Because no sleep + Benadry + pain and nausea meds = nighty night time for me! We were there for a couple more hours before they came in and told me I could go home, and then I signed some papers, got dressed and Joe helped me to the car, and we drove home and I don't remember one thing. He told I even ate a hot dog before I climbed into bed. Huh???? How could I eat something and not remember it?
And I just got up. Just now, at 6:10 p.m. I slept literally like a rock. And I'm not planning on leaving this bed until I get up for work on Monday. Because I have to get better this weekend. I just have to. My life has been a blur of sickness and bed rest since January First and I'm tired of it. I've got some living to do. I am feeling so much better right now, that I am hopeful this will all be a distant memory by Sunday(squeezing my eyes shut as tight as I can and praying "pleaseGodpleaseGodplease." Maybe you all could pray as well. I could really use it about now. Oh, and like Kylie's Momma says, for Joe too. Because he really is quite a trooper. And he's my trooper.

PS. I hate Blogger. Lately it won't load all of my graphics or pictures, and today the pink background color is gone so you can't read the text. I'm sick of it and would love to change, but I don't want to lose all of the beautiful stuff Verna did for me. Is it acting funny for you guys too, or just me?


Journeywoman said...

I'm so sorry things are so shitty for you now. I hope the Benadryl worked. Feel better soon.

OH MY #6 said...

I am having trouble reading you Blog, but I think you are still not well. I am so sorry and hope the weekend sees you having lots and lots of rest!


Michele said...

So glad you are feeling better, Michelle. The font being so light is making the blog hard to read. Rest up this weekend and look forward to feeling better!!
Michele, mom to two beauties from China